Debate Society Coach
The King’s College seeks inquiries and nominations for a part-time staff position as coach for the King’s Debate Society starting in August 2020. The King’s Debate Society promotes excellence in parliamentary-style debate in a competitive environment.
Overview of Position
The Director is a part-time, member of the staff of The King’s College who serves primarily as instructor for students in the King’s Debate Society. The Director of the King’s Debate Society is responsible for training students to love truth and defend it well. The Director’s duties extend to training students in the art of persuasive speech and running administrative details of the Society.
Fulfilling the duties of the position remotely rather than on our NYC campus may be possible for the right candidate.
- Leading two practices a week at which you will judge debates and give students advice for improvement.
- Overseeing the administration and finances of the Debate society (with significant help from student officers President, Vice President, Treasurer, Research Coordinator).
- Leading the Society to debate tournaments. This will often require significant, sometimes global, travel.
- Promoting the vision of the Debate Society to the student body with the goal of increasing the number of students that would enroll and pursue debate on regular basis.
- Help to promote the school to visiting students and their parents, especially if they have a direct interest in attending The King’s College.
- The coach has the final authority for selecting which individuals and teams attend which competitions on behalf of the College, using such factors as past debate performance, demonstrated commitment to the team, personal character, and academic standing, as well as the value added to the team and College by attending the competition in question. When appropriate, the coach may consult with the student leadership of the debate team to assess whether an individual or team should be invited to attend a competition.
- The position is part time and requires 15-20 hours per week on average, with travel to 3-4 tournaments per semester.
- Other duties as assigned by the Provost
Essential Skills and Experience
- Reasonable knowledge of the art of persuasion and the ability to confer that knowledge to others.
- Ability to manage and lead an organization.
- A passion for the vision of the King’s Debate Society To train students to advocate Truth in the marketplace of ideas.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
General office environment; normal mental concentration, plus 2-4 hours per day.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of The King’s College to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees who share its faith and mission. The King’s College does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, national origin, military status, sex, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, and/or marital status.
To apply, email your resume and cover letter to Grace Gleason, email@example.com.
DEPARTMENT: Academic Affairs
REPORTS TO: Provost
EMPLOYEE TYPE: Part-Time
FLSA STATUS: Exempt