1. Do I need the TOEFL or IELTS exam in order to apply?

Yes, you need to take either the TOEFL or IELTS exam before you come to King’s. We require a minimum of 83 on the TOEFL iBT (or equivalent on the other TOEFL tests) or a 6.5 on the IELTS. Our requirement for English mastery is high because our academic curriculum requires a strong grasp of the English language.

2. What is an F-1 Student Visa and will I need one?

An F-1 Student Visa allows you to travel to the United States of America for school purposes. This gives you the freedom to pass to and from US customs and to live in the US for the time allotted on the visa. If you do not possess a US passport or green card you will need this visa, regardless of other documentation you may currently possess.

3. How do I obtain an F-1 Visa?

You can obtain an F-1 Visa by submitting an “I-20 Certificate of Eligibility” to the local embassy or consulate in your country. This I-20 is a national computerized certificate that proves that you intend to come to the U.S. as a student of a particular school. It is a statement by that school, which acknowledges that a student is accepted and is capable of paying tuition, fees and all living expenses for the entire stay in the USA.

4. Can I convert a different visa to a F-1 visa?

The process of converting a visa is almost the same as obtaining a new visa. In almost every case you must set up an interview for the F-1 from your home country embassy, where you will be asked to submit an I-20.

5. How do I obtain an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility?

First you must apply and be accepted to The King’s College. Once accepted, you will supply one or more “Affidavits of Support.” These are forms given by you, your parents, and/or other supporters in which the provider commits to contribute a said amount for each year of study. Along with this statement the provider must include proof of income (bank statements and payment stubs) that show they have the means to financially support this. The last step is to make your first payment, which is usually the net amount of your of your first year’s tuition and living expenses, after financial aid.

6. Are international students eligible for financial aid?

Yes. The King’s College seeks to empower all accepted students to attend and will do everything possible to provide financial assistance in the form of scholarships and grants. International students will complete a Financial Aid application, including proof of income.

7. Is there housing available for International Students?

Yes. While there is housing available for any student of The King’s College, we do not require students to live on campus. If you have off-campus housing available to you with friends or family, this may reduce your costs significantly. The I-20 application requires that you provide payment for your first year of housing or that you supply an affidavit of support from a host person that commits to providing you with lodging.

8. Are International Students allowed to work?

Unfortunately, US law does not allow F-1 students to work off-campus. However, international students may work on-campus of the college they are attending. There are a few regulations governing this type of employment — students may only work 20 hours per week while school is in session but may work full-time during scheduled vacations, like Christmas and summer. This type of employment requires that the student obtain a Social Security Number. To do this, the student will need to acquire a letter from the Registrar’s Office.

The King’s College admits students of any race to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. The King’s College does not discriminate on the basis of race in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.