The King's College
Student Billing

Withdrawal and Refund Policies

Withdrawal Policy

Students who voluntarily withdraw from a course will be entitled to a refund of tuition and/or fees in keeping with the schedule below. The following schedule is based upon the date the written drop (withdrawal) request is received by the Registrar.

Failure to attend class does not constitute a withdrawal and does not entitle the student to a refund of tuition. Students who are administratively withdrawn for poor attendance will not receive any refunds.

Fall 2016 Semester

August 24th-August 30th 100% Refund
August 31st-September 6th 75% Refund
September 7th-September 13th 50% Refund
September 14th-September 20th 25% Refund
After September 20th No Refund

Spring 2017 Semester

January 9th-January 15th 100% Refund
January 16th-January 22nd 75% Refund
January 23rd-January 29th 50% Refund
January 30th-February 5th 25% Refund
After February 5th No Refund


The refund schedule will be prorated for terms shorter than a regular fall or spring term.

Note: When a semester begins on a day other than Monday, a week will be a seven calendar day period from the day of the week the semester began.

Treatment of Title IV Aid when a Student Withdraws

The law specifies how the College must determine the amount of Title IV program assistance that you earn if you withdraw from the College. The Title IV programs that are covered by the law are: Federal Pell Grants, Stafford Loans, PLUS Loans, and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG).

When you withdraw during a period of enrollment the amount of Title IV program assistance that you have earned up to that point is determined by a specific formula. If you, The King’s College, or your parent received more assistance that you earned based on your official withdrawal date, the excess funds must be returned to the Title IV program by you and/or the College.

If the College returns the funds on your behalf, any resulting debit balance on the student account is payable to the College.

Withdrawing From a Course

Students may withdraw from a course for several weeks after classes have been in session. The College establishes a final withdrawal date for each semester/session. (See the academic calendar for specific dates.) Full-time students should speak with the Director of Student Success prior to withdrawal. As withdrawal may impact a student’s financial aid eligibility, we recommend students speak with Student Financial Services prior to withdrawal to understand the effect of withdrawal on their financial aid.

Medical Withdrawals

A student may withdraw from the College due to medical reasons. Requests for medical withdrawal must be submitted in writing to the Dean of Students with a doctor‘s note, hospital bill, or other documentation to validate the medical condition, the period of time the illness occurred, and the attending physician‘s recommendation for withdrawal. If the student is voluntarily leaving for medical reasons, the student may request a partial or complete cancellation of tuition. Upon receipt of the letter of request, the Dean of Students will submit the request to the Vice President for Student Development for consideration. A final decision can be made by the Vice President for Student Development, or the student‘s request may be forwarded to the Financial Aid committee for subsequent consideration, depending on the situation. The Dean of Students will contact the student and the Bursar when a final decision has been made. Fees are non-refundable. Students who are granted a medical withdrawal will receive Ws on their transcripts for each class in which they were enrolled that semester.

Students who live in campus housing must contact the Director of Student Life at with a request for partial or complete cancellation of housing charges for the semester. The Housing Appeals Committee will be convened based on the nature of the extenuating circumstances. See the Housing Contract regarding fees for leaving housing prior to the end of the academic year. Students may appeal fees when they appeal housing charges.

Students must specify in the request for partial or complete cancelation of tuition if they also would like to request a partial or complete cancelation of Housing charges for the semester. If this request is specified, the Director of Student Success will submit the request to the Housing Appeals Committee for consideration.

Voluntary and Involuntary Leaves of Absence for Emotional Difficulties

A voluntary leave of absence will be granted by the Dean of Students with the Vice President for Student Development when a student decides (on his/her own accord or by conferring with parents/guardians or College professionals) that a leave for psychological reasons is in the student‘s best interest. Proof that the behavior significantly impedes the student‘s ability to function at school is necessary in order for the student to be granted permission for a leave without academic penalty. In situations where an outside mental health practitioner has treated the student (e.g. psychiatrist, psychologist, social worker), documentation from that professional or professionals must be furnished. Students will be charged forfeiture based on the date of official withdrawal and the College‘s tuition cancellation policy. Students who are granted a Leave of Absence may receive Ws on their transcripts for each class in which they were enrolled that semester pending approval from the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

An involuntary leave of absence will be issued to any student who engages, or threatens to engage, in behavior which poses a direct threat to others or to property damage. A student who poses a significant risk to the health or safety of any member of the King‘s community may be subject to an Involuntary Leave of Absence. When issued an Involuntary Leave of Absence, students remain responsible for any financial obligations to the College based on the date of official withdrawal and the College‘s tuition cancellation policy.

Enrollment Deposit Refunds

In order to receive a refund on either an early action ($500) or regular ($250) enrollment deposit, requests for enrollment cancellations and refunds must be submitted to the Admissions Office by May 1st (for fall students). To process the cancellation, the student must complete a short cancellation survey over the phone or in person with an Admissions Counselor.

Housing Refunds

Housing charges and refunds are governed by the signed contract between the student, any co-signer of the contract and the College. If there are extenuating circumstances for consideration, a student or their co-signer may file an appeal to be relieved of a portion of the charges through the housing appeals process.

Housing Appeals Process

The Housing Appeals Committee fields any dispute a student may have regarding his or her housing contract. Students wishing to appeal a housing contract must submit a formal letter, in writing, to the Director of Student Life who will convene the Housing Appeals Committee. The committee thoroughly reviews the appeal and determines the final decision. The Director of Student Life will then contact the appealer in a formal letter.

Refund Policy

Refunds may be issued to a student when there is credit balance on their account resulting from overpayment, course withdrawal, excess financial aid funds, etc.

Refunds are not issued until funds are actually received by the College.

Title IV funds for students are generally received in the first week of classes and any resulting refunds are processed within fourteen (14) days of receipt.

Students with credit balances resulting from excess financial aid funds, tuition cancellations, etc., will be emailed when their refund is ready. Any refund processed by check in the Business Office will be mailed within 5 business days from the date of processing if it is not picked up. Refund checks are generally mailed to the permanent home address on file unless we receive a different written instruction from the student. Students may request to apply their credit balance to future semester charges by completing the appropriate authorization form with the Bursar.

When a student’s registration status changes and he or she is a recipient of financial aid funds, the student’s record must be reviewed by the Director of Financial Aid before a refund can be issued. Credit balances resulting from the disbursement of Parent PLUS Loans will be refunded directly to the parent unless written instruction is submitted to the Bursar by the parent authorizing the student to receive the funds.