WE AIM TO HELP STUDENTS KNOW JESUS AS THE DEFINING REALITY OF THEIR LIVES, CAPTURE A VISION OF GOD THAT OVERCOMES COMPETING LOYALTIES, AND FORM A LIFE BUILT UPON SCRIPTURE AND BELONGING TO A LOCAL CHURCH.
To accomplish this, our goals focus upon helping each other recognize:
- our one true God through a life service to Him;
- our need for guidance from God through the wisdom of the community and the Holy Spirit;
- the necessity of literacy in Scripture in order to discern a life trued to God’s plan;
- and the dangers of distraction, isolation, uncritically developed ambition, and thoughtless habit formation.
We work hard in a coordinated effort to develop students within our community through church, spiritual discipline, and individual formation:
- We encourage students to belong to a local church through regular participation that goes beyond attending worship services;
- We participate in the rhythm of weekly Scripture readings from the lectionary, Sabbath habits, and celebration of Holy Days (The King’s Liturgy: Fall 2018, Spring 2019; Lectionary Notes);
- We form students through access to relationships within their House, with student development staff, and with faculty.
Other important facets of Christian community and formation at King’s include:
- Fall Retreat: Students, faculty, and staff convene at a camp in upstate New York to kick off the academic year with a school-wide retreat that includes teaching, worship, and the annual House Drama Competition.
- Refuge: Students gather bi-weekly to worship through song, prayer, and brief reflections from faculty, staff, and students.
- Church Involvement: When students arrive at The King’s College, their House helps them make connections with churches in the City. Find a church via Faith Street.
- City Engagement: We engage the City by serving in various missions, churches, and not-for-profit organizations associated with King’s such as The Bowery Mission, Young Life, and International Justice Mission, to name a few.
- Public Reading of Scripture: As Paul exhorts Timothy to do in 1 Timothy 4:13, we devote ourselves to the public reading of Scripture during lunch on Mondays.
- Athletes in Action: We partner with Athletes in Action to encourage our student athletes to allow God to shape their thinking in every aspect of life, including their interaction with sports. We engage the issues surrounding sport culture by opening a door for thoughtful analysis of sports. We host small gatherings throughout the academic year for those concerned with the redemption of both sports and those who love them.