Viewing stories about history
The 1968 flu pandemic (H3N2 virus), also known as the “Hong Kong flu,” forced King’s to close its campus in Briarcliff Manor, New York, early before Christmas Break. King’s alumni reminisce about the experience.
Fall 2019 marks 20 years since The King’s College reopened in New York City. Our story is one of faith, daring, and God’s grace.
When The King’s College was based in Briarcliff Manor, N.Y. (1955-1994), TKC Athletics earned a reputation for excellence. In light of this history, King’s congratulates the successes of the Men’s Soccer team this season.
How did King’s come to have a house system, and how important has it been to the College? And what is a house system anyway?
“Pioneer extraordinary! Surely these two words vividly describe the life and ministry of Dr. Percy B. Crawford, founder and first president of TKC.” – Howard Vos in “The History of TKC”
This month, we examine the history of the spot of ground on which King’s reopened in New York City—the site of the Empire State Building.
Our series of campus histories takes a detour from King’s to examine the story of Northeastern Bible College—its location, its educational mission, and how it came to play a pivotal role in helping King’s reopen in New York City, becoming part of the King’s community in the process.
When the Tidewater Associated Oil Company bought up the land around King’s in Delaware and persuaded the county to rezone it for industrial development, the College was forced to sell the Lexington mansion and estate where it had spent fourteen years of productive growth. The next step was the famed and beloved Briarcliff Manor.
Last month we learned about the very first site of The King’s College—the Marconi estate in Belmar, New Jersey. This month, we turn our attention to the College’s second home in Delaware: a mansion called Lexington, built by an extremely industrious citizen-farmer named Philip Reybold between 1840 and 1845.
The King’s College campus in Belmar, New Jersey started life in 1914 as a 90-acre research and experimentation site for long-distance radio transmission under the pioneering supervision of Guglielmo Marconi, inventor of the wireless.